My 365 day journey from single to forever... not a catalog of dates and internet idiots...
looking inside myself to make the changes I need to make to become a better person.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 34- What Doesn't Kill Us...

What doesn't kill us... makes us stronger, right?

In this case though, I'm talking about family.... Mine.

So today was a big for NG and I. We all woke up and went back to my home town (an hour away) for church. He met several members of my church family and I was happy to know he wasn't completely turned off by the atmosphere there. A charismatic church is not for everyone, but he seemed to be okay with it. Praise and worship went extra long today, which means there was no sermon. It was disappointing because I love my pastor. I really wanted to hear him preach today. NG said he did too, but maybe next time.

After church we had a cook-out at my mom's house. So NG met the actual family as well. In fact, my sister's birthday was last week so we combined the "let's meet NG" party with the "Happy 30th Birthday" party. So, not only did he get to meet my mom and my sister, but I invited my dad and his wife as well.

My sister and I don't speak due to too much drama in her life. While she doesn't bring all of it on herself, the 95% she does bring on herself makes it a bit harder for me to be sympathetic to the other 5%.

Anyway...

NG and I bought most of the food for the cookout. It was no problem. I had planned on buying it in the first place. What I hadn't counted on was the sweltering weather. Nobody wanted to stand over the hot grill when it was already over 100 degrees outside including the heat index. So, I got started on it, but NG said he didn't want me to be stuck doing it and jumped in in my place.

So, besides meeting my family, he also cooked all the food for today, fixed my mom's computer, and washed all of the dishes.

He was wonderful. I think my family really liked him. They told him several times how well-behaved his kids are...

In the mean time, my sister made sure that I knew she still doesn't like me, while my mom made one passive-aggressive comment after the next only pausing to pinch my belly fat when I walked by once.

It was a good day though... know why? NG was there with me. He makes me smile. He reminds me that there is nothing going on that is worth stressing out about.

I love him.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Your family sounds...complicated. I'm glad that your NG made it all much better for you. I hope he continues to be your calm amidst the storm, and that you stay very happy!

    Have a great day, and I wish you much happiness. Talk to you later!

    ReplyDelete